Again, thank you for a good turnout and a great show.
Art Quilts XIV: Significant Stitching will create a retrospective of today’s art-quilting world with all of its diversity. This year’s theme encourages you to explore what makes your work significant. Is it the statement your piece makes? Is it quilting lines made meaningful by placement? Surface design which speaks to the soul? Amazing quilting or appliqué? Submit your most significant work to this annual exhibition of contemporary artworks, once again expected to offer one of the finest collections of art quilts on display in the Southwest.
Art Quilts has grown from a local and regional quilt show to a respected vehicle for contemporary works. The exhibition draws entries from around the world and allows thousands of visitors each year to experience quilting as an art form.
The exhibition is produced and juried by Diane Howell and is presented by the Chandler Center for the Arts. It is overseen and installed by the City of Chandler's visual arts staff, housed at Vision Gallery in downtown Chandler.
Quilt artists who want to share their art with a broad-based arts audience are invited to enter. Two or more people may have worked on the pieces. The works must not have been previously displayed at the Chandler Center for the Arts or other downtown Chandler venue. Works should have been completed within the last three years. Wearable art and works less than 10" wide will not be accepted.
There is a non-refundable fee of $25 to enter up to 3 works. No entries will be considered without payment of this fee. Make checks payable to Diane Howell or remit through PayPal to firstname.lastname@example.org. Accepted images will be retained for the archives and possible catalog production; slides and CDs will be returned if accompanied by a self-addressed, stamped envelope with correct postage.
All delivery and shipping costs are the responsibility of the artist. To ensure your shipping and insurance needs are met when we ship your quilt(s) back to you, we ask you to include a FILLED OUT return-shipping form with pieces sent to Arizona for installation. This does not mean you must pay for shipping in advance. We are requesting you include a form with your shipping account number on it (this is NOT your credit card) so we can efficiently process shipping at the end of the show. A filled-out label saves us LOTS of time.
If you are new to shipping, the easiest way to do this is to go online and open a free account with FedEx. Postage stamps will NOT be accepted as payment for shipping. More detailed shipping info will be included in communication to accepted artists. Please remember we cannot predict what shipping –company franchisees across the country will state as “rules” for return shipping, but we are always able to find a solution to return shipping. In the Phoenix area alone, I have had different franchisees a mere six miles apart quote me different “rules.” I also cannot predict what price I will be charged to ship to you; often the return price is different from the send price, even from the U.S. Post Office.
The bottom line is: Do not prepay outrageously high fees to get a return label. That is not the goal here. If someone tries to charge you several times what you are paying to ship to me, that’s not right and we’ll find another way to get your quilt back to you.
The above rules are for U.S. artists. While shipping costs remain the responsibility of the artist, accepted international entries are handled on an individual basis to assure an efficient and cost-effective delivery system.
Works are insured while on display at the Chandler Center for the Arts, but not before or after.
For each $25 fee, you may submit up to 3 works on slides, a CD or via email. There is NO form, but entries MUST be accompanied by the following information:
1. Your name, email address (typed along with your other contact info), physical mailing address and day and evening phone numbers.
2. For each submitted work, include a full and detail view. You may submit images on 35mm slides or as digital jpeg images. Digital images should have a minimum 300 dpi resolution for an approximate picture size of 3 x 4 inches. The digital images can be either on a CD or submitted via email to email@example.com. With each image, the name of the artist(s) and title of the quilt must be included. Please title digital files so that this guideline is followed, even if in an abbreviated manner. Example: leaf1dethowell.jpg would indicate “Leaf 1” detail view by Diane Howell. In the case of slides, write artist name and title, and indicate TOP on the slide frame.
3. A separate list or document file describing the images needs to provided, to include: artist(s) name(s), quilt title(s), dimensions (width x height), types of fabrics/materials used and a short statement about the piece(s).
4. Statement declaring whether or not photos may be taken to promote current and future shows, including on the Web and in a possible catalog. One image will be chosen for use on a promotional postcard. In addition, this year a CD catalog MAY be produced. If accepted, and you give permission to use your images, you also give full permission to use image(s) of your work(s) and your artist’s statement(s) in this publication without payment or royalties. During the exhibition, the Chandler Center for the Arts limits photography to the show organizer, media and artists taking photos of their own work(s).
5. Statement declaring insurance value(s) and, if you want to sell your work(s), sale price(s). A 40 percent gallery commission will be charged on all sales, so remember to state sale prices that include that percentage.
Entries (not the quilts) are due by midnight, Friday, Sept. 25, 2009, either by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by delivery to Diane Howell (address provided upon request). A list of accepted artists will be posted on sweeteasyfeeling.blogspot.com by Monday, Oct. 5, 2009. Email correspondence to accepted artists will follow.
Completed quilts accepted into the exhibition must be delivered by Friday, Nov. 6, 2009. The delivery address will be given to accepted artists. For ease of installation, quilts must have top and bottom sleeves appropriate to their sizes. These sleeves should be at least large enough for 2-inch slats. If your piece has a hanging system other than a sleeve, please contact Diane Howell prior to entering to ensure it will be compatible with the gallery’s hanging requirements.
Quilts from local artists MUST be picked up at the Chandler Center for the Arts, 250 N. Arizona Ave., Chandler, AZ, on the day the show is taken down. Accepted artists will be notified of take-down date. Nonlocal works will be shipped; see Shipping/Delivery subhead for details.
Gallery hours are 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday and Saturday, noon-4 p.m. In addition, Chandler Center for the Arts patrons enjoy the works before shows and during intermissions. Call 480.917.6859 for holiday hours.
Contact Diane Howell at email@example.com